Thursday, July 3, 2008

Dalek + Swindle







































What I do love about working with my Magazine Project interns is that they're like a small army of search engines, always scouring the interweb for new, shiny objects/magazines to show. This makes things especially hard because then I have to sit on my hands and resist the urge to ditch out on a meeting to rip on over to frontpage and buy the New Neat Shiny Art/Culture Mag in question. This particular Juxtapoz cover and Swindle mag (yeah yeah, I sure you've all heard of them) were found by a couple of my interns. Thanks, guys!

Taking a flip through Swindle magazine is worthwhile. Its writing isn't trite and the cover art is usually incredible. Issue #12 had a gobstopping cops and gangsters photo shoot that was much more a visual essay or narrative piece than just another photo shoot. They also featured Dalek a while back. No, not the Dr. Who episode, but the artist James Marshall, whose work is on the Juxtapoz cover above. I am completley cowed by his complex use of colour and geometry and solid compositions, and I just rolled over to his website and signed up for his email list.

No comments: